Oh haiii, just over here making my keto ube cheesecake dreams come true! When I started keto, I just knew there had to be a way to make ube cheesecake, keto-friendly and so that became a mission of mine. I searched high and low, near and far… but no luck was to be found!
But first, what is ube?! Traditionally, ube cheesecake is made with ube halaya, but unfortunately that ain’t keto-friendly. While experimenting in the kitchen and doing my fair share of keto baking, I’ve learned how to make swaps for certain ingredients, such as how to make a pie crust and how to bake keto cookies. So, when I got my hands on some ube extract mama got to work and it wasn’t as easy as I thought!
As with most things in life, it wasn’t near perfect, or edible even, the first time I tried it…. or even the second or third time. LOL, my family really enjoyed taste testing for me even though I didn’t think it was ready to share. The first batch was too egg-y and over-baked, the second and third batch seemed okay, but something just wasn’t right… long story short, don’t give up my friends!
Finally, I think I’ve got something worth sharing and according to family and friends that have tried my recipe, they are all in agreement! Finally, here we have a low carb, sugar free, keto-friendly ube cheesecake on an almond flour crust and topped with an ube coconut sauce. A dessert staple in Filipino culture, now guilt free and did I mention, diabetic-friendly! It’s a win-win for all of us!
Keto Ube Cheescake Recipe
- 2 cups almond flour
- 5 tbsp butter, melted
- 5 tbsp low carb sweetener (I am loving this Wondrose Sugar Replacer from Keto & CO– 10% off with discount code: LA10)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Ube Cheesecake Filling Ingredients
- 2 lbs cream cheese, room temp
- 1 1/3 cup low carb sweetener
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 40-50 drops Ube concentrate (ketocoffeeandlipstick-10 for 10% off). Note that this concentrate is clear, not purple.
- OR 2 tbsp Ube extract …this one gives it that purple ube color. Either or works!
To make the crust
1. In a mixing bowl add in all ingredients and mix until well combined. The mixture will be crumbly.
2. Grease and/or line a 9 or 10 inch spring form cheesecake pan with parchment paper. Cut to fit the bottom of the pan.
3. Press the crust into the prepared pan. I like to press the crust up and into the sides of the pan just a little.
4. Place pan with your prepared crust into the fridge or freezer while you make the filling.
To make the filling
1. Using stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, heavy whipping cream and sour cream on low to medium speed until fluffy.
2. Gradually blend in the sweetener and salt.
3. Blend in the eggs one at a time.
4. Add the ube extract and mix until well combined. At this point the filling will be very thick and creamy.
5. Pour filling over crust.
Option 1: Instant Pot Cheesecake
To make your cheesecake in the instant pot:
1. Place a piece of paper towel over the spring form pan (collects moisture). Then cover with foil, tightly.
2. Add 1.5 cups of water to instant pot.
3. Place pan on trivet inside instant pot.
4. Steam on high for 45 mins. Let natural release for 20 mins.
5. Remove from instant pot. It will be a little jiggly, but it’s ok! Allow to cool completely before placing in the refrigerator*
Option 2: Oven-baked Cheesecake
To bake your cheesecake in the oven instead:
1. No need to cover the top, but do wrap the bottom of the springform pan (to protect it from water bath). Set inside a roasting pan.
2. Pour hot water in a roasting pan so it comes halfway up the sides of the springform pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour 25 mins or until the center is firm and the top is slightly browned.
4. Remove pan from water bath and let cheesecake cool completely before placing in the refrigerator*
* Refrigerate overnight, but if at all possible allow to set in fridge for at least 24 hours before serving.
Ube Coconut Sauce
Optional, but highly recommended!
1/2 C coconut milk, canned
1/2 tsp low carb sweetener
1/8 tsp xanthan gum, optional (helps to thicken sauce a little)
1-2 tsp ube extract
Instructions: Over medium heat, in a small sauce pan, combine ingredients and stir together. Allow sauce to cool before pouring over cheesecake.
Ube Cheesecake Macros